Startup Hokies-x (Accelerator)
Working on an idea or a new product and serious about building a company? The Startup Hokies accelerator is for you!
About this program
The Startup Hokies-X is an 8-week cohort-styled accelerator program that puts student entrepreneurs into an environment that builds teams, engages prospective customers and launches new business concepts. Offered during the fall and spring semesters.
The common application for Fall ’21 Incubator and Accelerator programs are NOW OPEN and close on Sunday 4/18/21 at 11:59 PM. Apply Now!
Note: This common application is for both the -i Incubator and -x Accelerator programs. Upon review of the applications, a decision will be made as to the most appropriate fit for each team applying. Got questions? Drop us a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Startup Hokies accelerator program, which runs every fall and spring semester, guides student startup teams through an 8-week cohort-styled process of assessing opportunities, building effective teams, and launching new ventures through workshops, mentorship, and funding. The accelerator provides an intensive, experience-driven learning opportunity for students who possess a strong desire to build and launch a new venture.
Accelerator cohort startups are paired with Venture Mentors, attend weekly required events, and receive guided access to various programs and events led by the Apex Center. All accelerator cohort startups present at a Demo Day event at the completion of the program.
The Apex Center faculty and Venture Mentors work hand-in-hand to help cohort companies:
- Get started and build a minimum viable product (MVP)
- Startup legal basics
- Build a team
- Business model & overall concept feasibility
- Launch and marketing
- Fundraising, Investment, and KPI’s
- How to pitch your opportunity
Benefits for Teams
In addition to non-dilutive capital, accelerator cohort companies may receive the following:
- Dedicated desking space in our new Apex office in downtown Blacksburg
- Membership and free credits in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Activate program
- Pro bono legal services (no cost advice from experts on corporate structure & documentation)
- Pro bono accounting services (no cost advice on corporate accounting setup)
- Access to angel investment & venture capital networks
- Mentorship from alumni-entrepreneurs
- Talent acquisition/recruiting services of co-founders and team members
- Equity-free grants ranging from $500 to $1,500
Startups can receive between $500 and $1,500 in equity-free grants. The amount awarded will be determined by a committee of Apex Center personnel based on how the team progresses through accelerator program milestones.
The cohort programming varies between dedicated team meetings, group workshops, and one-on-one development sessions. In addition to the regular modules guided by local experts and the Apex Center faculty, each team will receive one-on-one coaching from Entrepreneurs in Residence (EIRs) and will be guided by a team of Venture Mentors. These EIRs & Mentors are proven entrepreneurs assigned to each cohort team based on the specific focus and stage of the startup. The team must commit to attending all required programs and meetings during the 8-week accelerator with an average frequency of two required sessions per week.
Any student team with a Virginia Tech team member qualifies for funding and participation. At least one team member must be a current Virginia Tech Undergraduate or Graduate student from any Virginia Tech college, institute or program.
Check out the Frequently Asked Questions
Fall ’21 Startup Hokies Application:
- Click here to apply!
- Fall ’21 applications are now open | Deadline to apply is April 18 at 11:59 PM