Apply HERE for the chance to present at an upcoming KickStart event and get feedback + funding!
Complete the online application using your phone, it takes 5 minutes!
First, use your smartphone to record a short video using our recommended “script.”
Then submit using the link above.
Note: Video Submission should be no more than 3 minutes in length.
The video should contain the following information:
- What PROBLEM does your product or service solve?
- What data do you have to ensure there is interest in your proposed product or service?
- What is your next milestone or step that is necessary for your idea to move forward in the next 1-2 months?
- Why do you need the $500 seed grant at this time?
How does the selection process work?
A panel of staff from the Apex Center will evaluate and rank all the ideas submitted online based on predetermined evaluation criteria.
The student teams with the highest ranking concepts will present live at the next KickStart VT event. Selected student teams will give a five-minute pitch followed by a three-minute panel/audience Q&A.
How does the $ award process work?
All teams selected to present at a live KickStart VT event receive $500 in the form of an equity-free seed grant. This is not a pitch competition, it’s a milestone funding program.
View the full eligibility & evaluation criteria
Please note: the KickStart VT program and $ awards are restricted to current Virginia Tech students. All applicants are required to submit a valid Hokie Passport number in order to be considered.
Additionally, we are unable to fund the following ideas or ventures:
- Travel (see alternate program: Venture Founders)
- One-time events and promotional events (see alternate program: Venture Founders)
- The purchase, rent and renovation of office/business space
- Equipment that is not the core of the business (e.g., cell phones, laptops, etc.)
- Salaries for personnel
- In addition, we do not fund concepts in the areas of tobacco or drugs of any type, adult entertainment, or other ventures deemed contrary to general public health